*

*
Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash. Leonard Cohen

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Sugar and Spice

source
Sugar and spice and everything nice
That's what girls are made of
Mama say that's why boys can't keep they hands off
Same for growed men
so you better watch out
but I ain't a baby no more
and I know
everybody like a little sugar now and again

Evie say
she don't mind my hand me down sweaters
and she think my freckles is nice
I sing
Evie Evie
sticky sweet cotton candy
She look like a pretty pink treat
but soon as you lay your lips on her
she disappear
leave you still feelin' hungry
and a little bit sick

Mama say stay away from that girl
she born with the veil
and talk to haints
I tell Mama Evie just a regular girl
but I can't stay away
and we both know she ain't.

submitted for Open Link Night, Week 40, at dVerse Poets Pub

13 comments:

Brian Miller said...

sound like you been hanging out back with coal black...haha...

Evie Evie
sticky sweet cotton candy

leave you hurting and hungry

sometimes you got to watch the boys
and a girls

smiles.

Fireblossom said...

No, she ain't. Loved this.

Timoteo said...

Ha, I knew what a haint was from an old song from back in the day called "Haunted House" by Jumpin' Gene Simmons!

Anonymous said...

I love the voice you created in this. It made me think of Toni Morrison or Alice Walker. You bring us right into the scene.

Scarlet said...

Nice write...some things are just too addicting ~

I must also point out that your labels are very interesting..ha..ha..

Buddah Moskowitz said...

Sometimes the temptation is just too damned tempting. Great, great writing.

Hey Monkey Butt said...

sounds like an old black man or woman singing a song from child hood. I love this!!! :))

hedgewitch said...

Love that cotton candy metaphor--you worked it perfectly, too. Sometimes Mamma's right, but sometimes that just don't matter.

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

Some little girls are anything but sugar and spice...........lol

Dave King said...

If God hadn't wanted us to be tempted, he wouldna given us temptation, that's what I say!

Unknown said...

She looks lovely indeed, and this poem has an authenticity that astonishes me. I know that feeling, and it pulls you in and justvwon't let you go. Excellent poem.

Laurie Kolp said...

Love the dialect here...

Rachel Hoyt said...

Wow! Very cool to hear you write in a completely different voice. :)