*

*
Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash. Leonard Cohen

Friday, March 25, 2011

Ponytail Girl

I watch you trudge off
To your first day of school
You've got your bangs dyed red
Hanging over one eye
You're dressed all in black
With skulls on your pack
As I smile at my baby
With a tear in my eye.

And I thank God you're not a ponytail girl
No one's brand name is blazed
Across your chest
Although you've got looks
You'd rather read books
And if a boy tried to hassle you
You'd lay him out flat
Thank God you're not a ponytail girl
You're above all that.

submitted for Poets United, Think Tank Thursday, 41, Uniforms and Service

14 comments:

Crayotic Ramblings said...

This echoes Tori so much. I love it. I always pulled the pony's tails.

mel said...

right on! love the not-ponytail girls...

(mine's got dreads...;))

Unknown said...

Thank God you appreciate here just the way she is! What a great piece!

Fireblossom said...

Go, Red!

Mary said...

Wonderful to appreciate each person as an individual!

Peggy said...

What a nice tribute to your daughter. Thanks for sharing this.

Isabel Doyle said...

the seduction of a uniform eh?

madhumakhi said...

Yeah, even my mother is relieved that i'm not a 'ponytail' girl. Even though i myself am a teenager, i can relate to your anxiety. It's disconcerting to see young people fall apart and lose focus. It happens everywhere.

M. A. S. said...

I really love the piece, but it just makes me think about how my daughter is probably shaping up to be a pony tail girl. And so far, I'm ok with that.

Eileen T O'Neill ..... said...

Nice to remain and retain something of the individual, in life.

Eileen

Anonymous said...

individuality is a precious thing..i'm very glad for her that she has it...way too many sheep in this world. You've obviously done something right along the way..well done and well written :)

Judy Roney said...

How interesting. I had never thought of a ponytail girl as a type of girl. :) Since they are here, I'll have to say my girls were ponytail girls and I'm proud of that also. It's a wonderful world when parents are proud. You have given me something new to think about and that is very good! Well done.

http://judyidliketosay.blogspot.com/2010/12/there-came-day.html

Ella said...

I love the acceptance in this piece! It is a time of reflection, discovery and figuring out who you are! I admire your view; it was lovely~

Rachel Hoyt said...

What a great mama! It is great when girls get to just explore and be themselves at that age. I agree, better that they don't try to fit in too much. :)