*

*
Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash. Leonard Cohen

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Ode to Imperfection

photo by James Rainsford
I find perfect things
     Disheartening
     Unapproachable

Perhaps that is why I prefer
     Rough drafts
     First tries
     Unpolished gems

Full of passion that hasn't yet been edited out

I never loved the pretty boys
     With the perfect skin
     And calm blue eyes

Better the disquieted ones
     With tumultuousness barely hidden
     Or maybe a scar
     to lend a bit of asymmetry

I know the David to be
     A great work of art
     A masterpiece
But I cannot seem to love it
     For it is too perfect

But take a marble statue
     Worn and weatherbeaten

And perch a bird on its head
     Like a feather in a jaunty hat

And I will love it all the more.

submitted for One Stop Poetry, Sunday Poetry Challenge

10 comments:

dustus said...

"But take a marble statue/ Worn and weatherbeaten... / And perch a bird on its head / Like a feather in a jaunty hat"

Think I appreciate that more than "perfection." Something by chance or seeming random—a serendipitous notion to some thing or scenario—that to me trumps planned flawlessness. Excellent challenge response!

Maggie said...

I totally agree. Terrific pairing. : )

Fireblossom said...

I love this, Lola. I'm right there with you on this, too.

Jinksy said...

Now that's what I call a feather in (on?) his cap - and yours! LOL

Anonymous said...

This is priceless!!! And I so agree.

James Rainsford said...

A brilliant and perceptive response to my photo.
The poem both extends and illuminates the picture with a thoughtful and skilled response.
Thank you for sharing. James.

rmpWritings said...

sweet! very well done...wasn't sure how you were going to bring in the bird/statue...you surprised me...lovely.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I love this! Especially the last stanza. Me too!

PhotoDiction said...

Really like this too. It's almost like something needs to scuffed by the wear of usage before its real beauty can emerge.

Anonymous said...

Bravo ... imperfection has more character and a story with depth to share ... thank you for spotlighting it! ~becca