*

*
Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash. Leonard Cohen

Monday, March 7, 2011

Bubbe's* Gift

* Bubbe is a Yiddish word for grandmother. When I was seven, my grandmother,who loved to read and to write, gave me the book 101 Famous Poems for my birthday. I have it to this day.

My love of words began my seventh year
A small green book you pressed into my hand
 And though I was too young to understand
I knew that it was something you held dear
Into those magic poems I would peer
The distance between you and me was spanned
Your writer's mark on me you left your brand
And to this day I always keep it near

Because of you a truer voice I found
You taught me how to write from what I live
You taught me to observe the world around
You taught me how to listen for the sound
I read your words wrapped up like gifts to give
Each time I write, to you I will be bound

poem submitted for Poetry Potluck
Thank you to Jingle at Thursday Poets Rally for this award!

15 comments:

Dave King said...

Lovely poem.

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed this! Sensitively written and a nice flow because of your metrical specificity.

Anonymous said...

If Bubbe wasn't sweet
I might have missed the wonderful poet!
:)

Anonymous said...

A lovely tribute to your grandma's gift!
I wonder what you will give to YOUR grandchildren?

http://jessicasjapes.wordpress.com/2011/03/07/sweet-pleasure/

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

thanks a ton, perfect of everything.

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

sweet memories...

well expressed
A++

Anonymous said...

It is so nice when such a treasure is passed on with in a family! Nicely penned!

Unknown said...

Thank God for Bubbe!
Lucky you... me too!

Christine said...

So important to leave messages in books when giving them in a special way. Just so important to leave notes in handwriting.

Unknown said...

I like the line, "you taught me how to listen for sound."

Anonymous said...

so sweet.. thank you for sharing this lola.. my potluck- http://fiveloaf.wordpress.com/2011/03/08/nectar-from-heaven/

Louise said...

She gave you a very special gift indeed and one it is perfect to celebrate her this way on International Women's Day.

Olivia said...

What a beautiful way of thanking your grand mom!
I too am somewhat senti- preserving all things since ever.. :)

Smiles xx

Anonymous said...

...bound to sound, around...

it's a beautiful poem and a wonderful image. What was lost, found...in a green book bound...

It pushes out at the space around me. Very nice.

Charlie Parant said...

Very well written...my grandmother had a little rhyme for just about every subject and I am thankful she always shared them with me.