*

*
Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash. Leonard Cohen

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Jabberwocky II: This Will Slay You!

image from Magpie 58
And so what of the vorpal sword
With its tiolver* blade?
The beamish boy did wield it well
The Jabberwock, he slayed.

Post frabjous day, what happened ere
The Jabberwock was gored?
What dersmate fate would soon await
That mighty vorpal sword?

"A trophy case would be the place
For the sword I cherish!"
His mother shook her stivent head
She thought that far too garish.

And so the vorpal sword it went
Beneath the bed to store
And quickly became covered in
Dust and dirt and more.

image source
Until one day twas brillig
With spring cleaning in the wabe
And mumsy became milicarb
At her messy beamish babe!

"This stuff must go! Heave ho! Heave ho!"
His room glowed as if glossed
But at the end of tidying up
The vorpal sword was lost!

Now don't you worry, curious kitts
I'll tell you where it went
I found it at a yard sale for
Two bucks and fifty cents!

And so that sword it hangs today
Above my own berld bed
And if a Jabberwock attacks
I'll just cut off his head!

submitted for Magpie Tales 58

* My made-up words are from various "captchas" and word verifications I've had to type this week
inspired by and apologies to Lewis Carroll

24 comments:

Louise said...

Brilliant...... fab take on the prompt!

Christine said...

This was fantastic, like a journey to a garage sale, where might I add, now I know the story behind what my husband dragged home.
Also love your creativity with the captchas words, you are brilliant girl.
(I used Jabberwocky this week too, for a different prompt)

hyperCRYPTICal said...

Excellent take on the prompt!

Anna :o]

Anonymous said...

Ok...I have only been in the blogosphere for about a month, but this absolutely the best thing I have read. Color me green with envy. Vb

Olivia said...

Gosh....... Te 1st thought that crossed my mind was jabberwocky..!

What do we have here- a beautiful poem about one indeed.. :)

LOLsss for the ending- super witty and fun :)
Hugs n Smiles xoxox

Vinay Leo R. said...

Tiolver blade :D I think you captcha the captchas very nicely.. like 120S says, a fab take on the prompt.. maybe a wall hanging would be best for that sword n shield :)

Here's My Magpie

Helen said...

It takes a mighty ton of talent to pull this off ~~ Bravo!

Crayotic Ramblings said...

Genius as always. Carroll would be proud.

Fireblossom said...

Well of course you would. You can't eat the heads!

Clever and cute. Thanks for the day brightener, girly q. :-)

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Cute take on the mag- nice!

Tumblewords: said...

Fun piece - jolly fine!

Reflections said...

Love your take on this prompt. Fun tale, great history of the sacred find of the garage sale.

Isabel Doyle said...

I have also recorded those bizarre letter collections - you have used them well!

Tess Kincaid said...

I love the Jabberwock! Well done, Mouse.

gautami tripathy said...

Great write!

the beast demands

Jinksy said...

At last! Somebody who speaks my language! LOL

Elaine said...

Cute...and the made up words were the best!

mel said...

absolutely BRILLIANT!!!

LOVED it..

xo

ps. i just realized i didn't thank you for the award...i thought i did, but sometimes i dream things and imagine it actually happened. LOL. But THANK YOU..i hope you can forgive my tardiness...

Lucy Westenra said...

Verification worms can be a sauce of transpiration. Or something.

M. A. S. said...

I have clay Jabberwocks in my classroom that students must take home.

You should take on a snark next.

M. A. S. said...

We made them. I try to teach a Jabberwock unit every year. It its a fantastic poem for teaching inference skills. -oh, apparently I'm a teacher- But the lessons culminate in sculpting clay Jabberwocks. I try my best to keep the students away from any images of Jabberwocks (in books or whatever) so that they can just have a clear imagination.

Lolamouse said...

M.A.S. Awesome! I wanna be in your class!

M. A. S. said...

Most of my class is much more boring.

Randy Behavior said...

Giggles! Thanks.