*

*
Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash. Leonard Cohen

Saturday, December 31, 2011

Sonnet of the Bells

The bells are ringing, not for me
I hear them in the high church tower
They sing a wordless melody
Counting out each passing hour

They fill the winter's frigid air
With peals of sound so true and warm
Sometimes I want to follow there
Intoxicated by their charm

And though I feel the coming squall
I will not seek shelter inside
The gentle sounds outside those walls
Much hatred and harsh words belie

For many truths I hold within
The Church believes to be a sin.



 Baptist Church Bell , Court Street, Keene NH
(source)

10 comments:

Christine said...

who is the judge in then end anyway? God only knows that...too bad that the masses of believers often keep those out,who need to be in...terrific write

Mimi Foxmorton said...

I can hear them ringing now........
:)

Happy New Year, luv!

*hugs*
~Mimi

J Cosmo Newbery said...

For many truths I hold within
The Church believes to be a sin.

Oh, I like that! I really do!

Best wishes for 2012.

Brian Miller said...

ha nice commentary there in the end...smiles...and i love the sound of the bells...we have them back home but not too many in our town...i am in cleveland for the new year and i just heard the bells...smiles!

Ostensible Truth said...

oh a wonderful sonnet! loved the rhymes - the imagery - and i love that last line! nice work!

JustRex said...

Too true. Too true. I'd love to find a religion that doesn't espouse hatred. I wonder what the Buddhists are doing these days?

nene said...

I echo J Cosmo newbery, the phrase ...For many truths I hold within/The Church believes to be a sin...,is a sound of soft bell ringing that still rings in my ears growing up embedded, not by choice, in the arms of the institution of Catholicism.

Wonderful piece.

Kay L. Davies said...

I love your poem, and I understand what it says, but I have to laugh about the sound of bells. I attend a church (where sin is seldom, if ever, a topic) whose bell is an old ship's bell. It produces a sound only those who love it can like. Once, about 30 of us were there to ring the bell 300 times for a special day (for peace, or the environment, or something) and I found myself feeling sorry for the neighbors.
I am grateful there are some churches who believe in love, peace, and equality for all, and sorry there are so many who don't.
K

Doctor FTSE said...

Lovely, sardonic, very well constructed.

Ella said...

I like your clever take on the prompt~ Well Done~
I hear you, loud n' clear(just like the bell) :D
Happy New Year!