*

*
Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash. Leonard Cohen

Friday, December 2, 2011

Lighthouses and Cigarettes

source
When I said I was leavin'
I didn't expect you to beg me to stay
but when you said
I understand, baby
that just about killed me cuz
I ain't understood nothin' since 
we been together
You can keep the Stevie Ray albums
but I'm taking the Muddy Waters
it kinda grew on me
and I'm leaving you my Bonnie
cuz you need a good woman
The winds have died down
and my car's all packed
Shit, baby, you look so sweet
sittin' there on the porch
in your Levis and that old T shirt
with your hair all wet and
hangin' in your eyes
just like a little boy
but you always are the calmest
after a storm
I better go 
and now I know
why people say they can't look back
cuz if I do, I might just see 
the ashes on your cigarette
glowing
like a beacon on a lighthouse
calling me home.


source

15 comments:

Kerry O'Connor said...

Oh my gosh... the goosebumps just leapt up all over my body at that last line! I'm still shivering. Absolutely brilliant and worth all the pictures of lighthouses I have seen today.

Mary Ann Potter said...

An amazing revelation at the end here! Beautifully done - so unique.

not displayed said...

Love this. Just wonderful

Brian Miller said...

i hear that...always calling back and many follow that light right back...i like that you left bonnie cause he needs a good woman...ha...

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Fantastic writing, and the ending hit it right out of the park! Wow. I could see the wholething, including the glow of the cigarette. Fabulous writing.

Fireblossom said...

It's always like that, or at least often, I think. The thing that drew you to begin with tugs at you even when you know it's time to leave.

nene said...

Warm hug!

Maude Lynn said...

This feels so real you could reach out and touch it. Excellent!

Laurie Kolp said...

Love the voice in this and the ending leaves a strong image in my mind.

JustRex said...

I can't help it if I'm a toad in the garden. **sigh** At least I still have Bonnie...

Bryan White said...

This made me want a cigarette D:

Scarlet said...

You got me from the first line all the way to lighthouse of home. Leaving home is a hard thing to do, specially when he isn't eager to keep you from going.

Nice one ~

Marian said...

oh, MAN. this is wonderful.
dividing the albums? ACK. ACK!
leaving him Bonnie because he needs a good woman? whoosh.

kaykuala said...

Parting isn't easy! Feelings linger on and may just turn things around, very true! Great take on the prompt,Lola! Thanks for visiting!

Hank

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Wonderfully written. One can see the characters so clearly and feel the poignancy and mixed emotions. Wonderful!