*

*
Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash. Leonard Cohen

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Moth Heart

I never fell for magic tricks
until I fell for you
You knew my cards
before I looked at them
Cut people in half
and made them whole
I was mesmerized

You made my heart disappear
under a silk handkerchief
and left in its place
a moth
The flutter of its wings
felt so much like heartbeats
I barely noticed it was missing
until the moth flew away
like one of your magic doves

I keep hoping you will return
to make me whole again.

submitted for Magpie Tales, Mag 255

11 comments:

Fireblossom said...

Beware of clever Gypsies!

brudberg said...

The flutter.. I think they will return..

Maude Lynn said...

Oh, this is good!

Marcoantonio Arellano (Nene) said...

love this side of you, mi amiga

lovely

gracias

Kerry O'Connor said...

A beautiful expression of love and loss.

Carrie Van Horn said...

I love love love this!! Such an amazing capturing of the capture of a heart in love. Wonderful writing Lolamouse!!

Unknown said...

Although not melancholy, this piece conveys the initial "jumping in with abandon" and the loss.

Susan Anderson said...

This was magical, in every sense of the word.

=)

Margaret said...

…a moth to a flame. Lovely metaphor!

C. Sandlin said...

Really, really enjoyed this. The flutter of wings for a heartbeat--what an image!

brudberg said...

I love the narrative here. The magician as the lover, and the heart as a butterfly, lovely