*

*
Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash. Leonard Cohen

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Bad Parenting

I made it! 30+ poems in 30 days for NaPoWriMo!!!   Yay me!
 I must admit
that I have been too indulgent with my muse,
treating her as if she were a queen,
demanding nothing.
Now she has become a spoiled brat,
petulant and contrary.
She will not rouse when summoned,
burrows under the covers and whines,
"I don't feel like it!"
I should have been more firm from the start;
now it's a battle of wills.
She ignores my taps and gentle shakes,
covers her ears to my reveille,
refuses to budge.
"Well, I'll just start writing without you!" I shriek.
 She calls my bluff- "Just try."


6 comments:

Kerry O'Connor said...

Well done, LM!
This final poem cracked me up.. I think we're all feeling the side-effects of exhausted muses.

Anonymous said...

I can so relate to this, my muse is completely impossible! Great poem =)

Stormcat had a good idea for the prompt explained in the comments if you would like to go with that =)

Brian Miller said...

smiles...yes...we get the cart and horse backward often...and it shows in the results...good job on working your 30...did not do it this year...did a few years back and that was enough...smiles.

Margaret said...

!! Hysterical.

Buddah Moskowitz said...

I loved this - a game of chicken with your muse.

Here's a little similar, from way long ago- hope it makes you smile:

http://ihatepoetry.joeuser.com/article/140533/My_Kvetching_Muse

Congratulations on completing April PAD.

not displayed said...

Congratulations on a month of wonderful poetry. You and your muse must be exhausted. Totally understandable she should be cranky