*

*
Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash. Leonard Cohen

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Honky Tonk Jam

His left hand jangles the chords of the piano
image source
While his right hand clutches a warm beer
And after every few sips                                                        
He tries to get a few tips
By playing songs that someone wants to hear
And the honky tonk is swingin'
But nobody is singin'
They're drinkin' and they're looking' for a fight
Then she walks into the place
He won't look at her face
She says, "I know you think I'm loose but let's get tight."

"Lady I'll buy you a drink but then you best be on your way
If you hang around here much longer
You know they'll be hell to pay
If I told you once, I told you at least half a dozen times before
Don't come walkin' back into my life
Once you go walkin' out our front door."

She sits down next to him on his piano stool
So close that he can smell her new shampoo
Says, "I know that you miss me
I know you wanna kiss me
I really didn't want to be untrue
It's just I get so lonely
But you're my one and only
Baby, tell me that you're gonna take me back
We'll buy ourselves some cheap wine
And I will treat you real fine
Take me home with you and I'll unpack."

He begins to play some chords on the piano
A sweet tune that she hasn't heard before
She starts tapping along
Swaying to his new song
Pretty soon she's out there on the floor
Says, "Sing the rest to me
Imagine what we could be
Dance with me and we'll forget the past."
He just shakes his head "no"
Tells her that she should go
He wrote that song for love that's gonna last.

"Lady I'll buy you a drink but then you best be on your way
If you hang around here much longer
You know they'll be hell to pay
If I told you once, I told you at least half a dozen times before
Don't come walkin' back into my life
Once you go walkin' out our front door."

submitted for Poetry Jam, Honky Tonk

9 comments:

Bryan White said...

It tells a story. Nice.

Enchanted Oak said...

Well, Lolamouse, you have broken my heart with this tale of woe. Good going. Everything about this number is perfect.

Fireblossom said...

I love those old pulp novel covers!

JustRex said...

I've wanted to say the same thing several times before. Wish I had these words to use back then. They would have come in very handy. Excellent.

Bagman and Butler said...

Great story, great ending...I could almost smell the smoke and stale beer.

Helen said...

Now THIS is a honky tonk poem made for music. Captures the essence of what honky tonk music was all about way back then .......

Brian Miller said...

oMG this is rockin'...totally realy to hear it sung...love story telling songs...and she best be gettin on....

jabblog said...

This captures the mood and the time precisely. Well done!

Dave King said...

Very well done. I find it a really clever piece; for me, extremely difficult to do.