*

*
Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash. Leonard Cohen

Sunday, May 8, 2011

The Fortune Cookie

image source
While dining one night at the Chinese Buffet
The waiter brought cookies and tea on a tray
Tucked inside each cookie there was a note
I opened one up to see whom it might quote
To my surprise I saw nothing was there
I turned the note over, continued to stare
"My note is quite blank," and I tossed it aside
My tablemates shrieked, "Oh the horror!" they cried
"This is a curse," they said, "terrible news."
"What do you mean?" I asked. "Tell me your views."
They told me no fortune is always a message
That you have no future, that is the presage
"Depends how you choose to see that information-
See it my way and avoid all frustration
A blank fortune really is hardly depressing
Create what you want-I call it a blessing!"

submitted for May Poetry Challenge, Receiving Info, at Verse in a Nutshell

10 comments:

Fireblossom said...

A blank fortune? I've heard of inscrutable, but geez!

Bryan White said...

I've heard getting an empty cookie was bad. I never heard anything about the slip of paper being blank. Sounds like a screw up at the fortune cookie factory.

I once wrote a post about fortune cookies as well:
http://nheadache.blogspot.com/2010/12/if-i-were-in-fortune-cookie-game.html

M. A. S. said...

Cute way to poke fun at fate.

patcegan said...

What fun! I agree, we create our realities, so why not our blessings. Love this poem! hugs, pat

Eileen T O'Neill ..... said...

Lolamouse,

I loved the very idea, of being able to choose, your very own future fortune!!

Eileen

Rachel Hoyt said...

What a cute poem! Life is definitely how you see it and I aim to believe the glass is always at least half full. :)

Bryan White said...

Didn't I comment on this?

Mary said...

I love it. I agree with you. You can make your OWN fortune. That's as good as fortune gets.

trisha said...

you share your point of view with legendary palm-reader Cheiro.

I too agree with you.

trisha
http://window2mysoul.wordpress.com/2011/05/06/receiving-information-for-may-challenge/

Anonymous said...

I share your views .. no news is good news as they say .. ;)