*

*
Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash. Leonard Cohen

Monday, September 19, 2011

Snake In the Grass

The Snake Charmer, Henri Rousseau, 1907
Don't know much about charmin'
but I caught myself a snake
Seems the man I've been lovin'
has been out on the make
Thought he was so harmless
but he finally shed his skin
I see his scales too clearly
now I know where he has been
Snake in the grass
better get outta my bed
Cause snake who try to bite me
get handed his head, oh yeah

Thought he was just flirtin
Just having some fun
Now I'm really hurtin'
from the damage he done
Snake in the grass
Forked tongue keeps on tellin' lies
Your love is like venom
You hypnotize with your eyes
Snake in the grass
better get outta my bed
Cause snake who try to bite me
get handed his head, oh yeah

I was once bitten
Believed that I was real cool
but you got yourself smitten
tried to make me the fool
Thought you could betray me
but her treasure fool's gold
who you missin' now, boy?
Your blood can just stay cold
Snake in the grass
better get outta my bed
Cause snake who try to bite me
get handed his head

Snake in the grass
better get outta my bed
Cause snake who try to bite me
just might end up dead, oh yes.

submitted for Magpie Tales, 83
and One Single Impression, 186, Betrayal

30 comments:

Kathy B. said...

I want to hear this with a band!

Louise said...

Oh yeah Lolamouse - them old snakes need chastising - no better woman/mouse!!

martine said...

Yes, agree, lovin' the rhythm
thanks for sharing
martine

Tess Kincaid said...

Love the playfulness of this, Mouse...fun!

Unknown said...

You would make a wonderful country songwriter! This was both melancholy and hilarious.

Fireblossom said...

Well, I never.

Okay, so maybe once. ;-)

It's justifiable homicide, if you ask me.

Brian Miller said...

oh my....def a song that would get quite a few requests i imagine...unfortunately...smiles.

Helen said...

This is epic! I have known a few snakes in the grass!!!

Christine said...

some heavy blues in a dark lit pub, I can just hear you sing it sista

JJ Roa Rodriguez said...

Nice one here... Hmmm! With the recent struggle i have with my relationship, i can definitely relate to this...

JJRod'z

SandyCarlson said...

I think I know this guy. Knew. He wound up in the sushi....

Laura Maria said...

This has really nice rhythm. Kathy is right, this would be nice if it were put to music

Erratic Thoughts said...

Agree with Kathy,this is a song waiting to be sung...
Snakes and him,similar in so many ways...ah but they havent seen the charmer's charm yet!
Go girl!:)

Trellissimo said...

What a delightful little ditty! Thank you! :)

nene said...

I agree Kathy B., this would sound good with some type of up beat music track.

Love the 'droppings' on this one Mouse (lol)

not displayed said...

oh I love this and I know someone who can probably relate. (me too if I choose to remember a certain ex....)

JustRex said...

(Points up at Kathy) Yeah! A smoky blues jazz band and a long hot redhead in a tight evening gown making love to the microphone. Her tight slender body writhing ever so slightly, making the sequins of her gown catch the lights just enough to make little sparks explode in your eyeballs. She was hot enough to melt all the ice at the bar. And deadly enough to make most of the men hold their hands across their laps in sheer animal instinct.

Isabel Doyle said...

the worst kind of charmer ... nicely skinned and nailed by you!

Shauna said...

adore this poem - oh yeah! give me a guitar and
some back-up and this is a hit no doubt.

the rhyme is perfectly "executed'.

Cad said...

Hmm.. I think Ada sometimes sees me as a snake in the grass, for she certainly turfs me out of her bed often enough...

BB said...

Hi Lola...Mynx recommended I read this poem and I think you were writing about my situation here! Great poem. It should be a song. My snake is about to be put out in the field somewhere soon!

Doctor FTSE said...

I'm right with the first comment. I hear this as "rap" Great stuff

Mariya Koleva said...

I, too, think it will sound great with music.

Rachel Hoyt said...

Ugh, I HATE those guys! But you described them quite well. This should be a song. :)

hyperCRYPTICal said...

Exccellent stuff!

Anna :o]

Intelliblog said...

Very good! I certainly agree, this is chart-topping lyric material - get it to a composer to set to music! :-)

Anonymous said...

What a delight! The attitude of your place is awesome. Mousepower, Baby! I'll be back for another look around 'cause mouseholes always have so many little treasures. Thanks for visiting this lonely bunny.

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

unbeatable tale.

love the word flow.

:)

The Blog of Bee said...

set to music is right! A great piece.

Anonymous said...

@Rachel: I think it WAS a song. With the refrain it reminded me of a spiritual.

Lolamouse: very well written ;)