*

*
Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash. Leonard Cohen

Friday, September 2, 2011

Curious

image source
Mama always said curiosity killed the cat, but I ain't no cat, and even if I was, I think I might give up a life to have me a look on the other side of that door. Sign on the barn says it holds "Curiosites" in French, which makes it curiouser still. All the more so for being here, where nothing curious happens near every day.  Trying not to look in that barn is like Mama settin' a freshly baked birthday cake on the kitchen table and saying, "Now don't you stick your finger in that frosting to taste any before dessert." You just  know what's gonna happen. It's human nature. Now, maybe after having my hand slapped countless times with Mama's old wooden spoon for sneaking a taste of that frosting, I'd have figured that human nature ain't always trustworthy. Or particularly smart. And it is exactly that part of my nature that's leading me to try to peek into the locked barn and get inside for a look around...

submitted for Theme Thursday, Curious

7 comments:

Fireblossom said...

Curiosity killed the cat, but...

satisfaction brought him back.

Mimi FOxmorton said...

Curioser and curiouser...........

;)

Nanka said...

LOL!! That made me smile and I can picture my mama too saying "Now don't you stick your finger in that frosting to taste any before dessert." But curiosity always gets the better of you. Now history repeats and I am repeating the same words to my daughter!! :D

Brian Miller said...

haha...yeah, i remember many a hand slap...kids are so curious, always trying to get into things...wonder if it is a good thing we lose that...

Scarlet said...

True... the more someone tells us not to peek on it, the more we get curious to see it.

Happy weekend ~

JustRex said...

The thing to do would be to make an eye-shaped hole and smear a little black shoe polish around the edge now and then. Just a little joke to give all the curious a black eye for fun.

Mary said...

Ah yes, curiosity can be both a blessing and a curse, can't it? And no wooden spoon can knock it out of a person. LOL.