*

*
Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash. Leonard Cohen

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Autumn, Battle Creek Cypress Swamp

photo by Allison Tardio
Carpet of green
cypress needles under my feet
soft and sweet
Paw paw leaves
like fairy fans
their strange fruit overhead
or squished underfoot
overripe and candy sticky
Fallen logs
studded with faux seashells
the air heady with their musk
The creek gambols
over cypress knees
tickling
mud turtles
singing duets
with green frogs
Here
the world is
brown and green
lush and clean
I inhale
its essence.

7 comments:

JustRex said...

Swamps are beautiful and enticing and dangerous.

Like most women.

I'm just saying....

Brian Miller said...

nice. iwould inhale as well...gambols over cypress knees...excellent descriptive line...cool capture...

Donald Harbour said...

I know what you mean. I spend a lot of time in the cypress swamp on the Arkansas river next to my home town. Loved the imagery you created. Do you eat the Paw Paw fruit? Makes a great jelly or jam.
Don

BB said...

That picture and those words were meant to go together. Excellent. Could almost feel like I was there.

Ed Pilolla said...

i can smell it. great sensory write.

flaubert said...

Reminds me of the swamp areas of Florida. Vivid.

Pamela

Anonymous said...

So fun! I'm so happy to read this slosh through the swamp and delighted that you participated in my prompt. Happy to be back by, my mouse friend.