*

*
Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash. Leonard Cohen

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Do You Dream?

scene from Phantom of the Opera, 1925
Do you dream in technicolor?
Do you close your eyes and wait for
the show, giddy with
anticipation?
Do you dive into your bed
grab handfuls of covers like popcorn
into your greedy hands?
Sink down into lush
mind mush
watching it all on the black screen
of night?
Do you dream in black and white?
Do you fight the fall into silent film
non-existence
your movements exaggerated but going
nowhere
screaming
with no sound?
Do you know the face
of your phantom?
Would you love him to free him
from the catacombs of
your nightmares?

submitted for dVerse Poets Pub, Poetics, Shhh...Silent Films

11 comments:

Mary said...

Wow, that is intense. It gives me chills.. A good read!

Anonymous said...

ooooh, loved where you went with this and now I really want to go back to bed :).

Brian Miller said...

um...yeah if we can evict him from my dreams that would be a plus....i unfortunately know my phantom all too well...smiles.

Scarlet said...

Dreams as silent movies? Yes, sometimes it feels like that specially when it is a scary one. I just want to wake up and snap out of it ~

Sheila said...

yikes, I think I fit into the latter description and YES, I would love to free him from the catacombs of my nightmares. Great poem for the photo you chose. Very eerie and intense like the Phantom himself!

JustRex said...

Somewhere in the back of my subconscious, there's a little voice that cries out when a dream starts saying "Oh snap! Here we go again!"

My dreams are rarely fun.

My daydreams are a blast.

But my dreams suck bad.

hedgewitch said...

I like this a lot, lm. The progression of questions starts out so innocently, almost playfully, but then turns serious and shadowed with that same sense of otherness we get watching that earlier, soundless, more dramatic world.

Christine said...

love that third line about the popcorn, fantastic write of dreamland

Fireblossom said...

This is delightful. I especially love the "lush mind mush"!

I dream in color. I don't care what the "experts" say.

barbara said...

Nice
I like the way you link the dream and those film archetypes. Your color section is especially good. Love the bedding/ dreaming/popcorn concept.
btw
I do have cinematic dreams, linear. and in color.

Unknown said...

Funny Bunny Fridays week 2 is open for humor entries right now,

Welcome in,

It is never too late to share a laughter with your peer bloggers.

Keep smiling.
Bless your Tuesday.
xoxox


love it, signed in to follow your blog.