*

*
Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash. Leonard Cohen

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Sounds of Silence

Too long silent
Lips sewn shut 
with threads spun of shame
buried
locked away
never to speak the name
But the silence screams louder
than the screams in my nightmares
and the words fight to escape 
their cages, hurling themselves 
against prison bars
I gag them back down
swallow hard
Speak now or
forever
hold your tongue.

inspired by The Sounds of Silence (1965) by Simon and Garfunkel

11 comments:

JustRex said...

Sometimes I'm surprised when the words don't bust out my front teeth trying to get out.

Scarlet said...

I love that song... lovely sounds of silence ~

Brian Miller said...

whew! the intensity built and built til explosion in this one...yes speak now!

Rachel Hoyt said...

I can REALLY relate to this feeling right now! Great write.

Pearl said...

Love the visual of words hurling themselves against bars!

Pearl

Maude Lynn said...

I agree with Brian. Really intense.

Marie Elena said...

Wow. I second what Brian Miller said. Intense, indeed! So glad to have you joining us at Poetic Bloomings!

Marie Elena said...

... and this is a GREAT site!

ayala said...

Intense....speaking out will carry you through and will give you freedom.

Harshad Mehta said...

Sometimes silence speak louder.
Beautiful piece.

nene said...

Surprisingly, you speak so well of what I have inside. Thanks, it saved me some ink and some intraspection.(LOL)