*

*
Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash. Leonard Cohen

Friday, May 22, 2015

Bird Watching

source
City sounds
Urban birdsong
A cacophonous May canvas
"Shoe shine! Shoooooe shine! Shooooooe shiiiine!"
sings a gray feathered bird
his capped head bent over
his springtime work
"Needa fat bitch! Oooooh, I needa fat bitch!"
another's shrill chirp distracts
passersby
Pigeons peck at the sidewalk
for crumbs
A small brown bird lands
on my shoulder
"Gotta minute? Gotta minute?"
he chirps in my ear
I pause to listen
Lost nest, hungry babies
Feeling the pull of the crowd
I almost brush him off then
consider the $35 box of gourmet donuts
tucked under my own wing
Give him money for food
and a little more for his family
Then watch him fly away.

submitted for Imaginary Garden With Real Toads, Tuesday Platform




6 comments:

Fireblossom said...

We both seem to be bird brains today, LM!

Kerry O'Connor said...

It is a special kind of person who takes note of and cares for the birds.

Maude Lynn said...

Shoe shine and the gray feathered bird made me gasp it was so smart and such a perfect turn. Fantastic work.

Buddah Moskowitz said...

Excellent! Today must be bird day, as mine is about crows!

Buddah Moskowitz said...

Love the sounds of your birds. I've heard exactly that!

Magaly Guerrero said...

May we all become birds with an ear and "a minute" someday...