*

*
Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash. Leonard Cohen

Sunday, February 13, 2011

We're Still Here (For David)

photograph by Augusto Gandia at Photograph Prose
It's four a.m. and I'm awake again
My mind keeps replaying how it could have been
But then I count your breaths like I'm counting sheep
And pretty soon I'm smiling and I'm falling asleep

We're still here
We're still here, babe

They say a tree grows stronger in the broken parts
I guess that it's the same way with broken hearts
And though we've hurt each other some along the way
My love for you keeps getting stronger every day

And we're still here
We're still here, babe

And who would've thought that the boy from the band
Would fall for the girl who couldn't carry a tune
But now you've got me dancing under the stars
Singing silly love songs up to the moon

So now I don't care if the world stops spinning
'Cause I would still wake up in the morning grinning
I know that other loves may have come to an end
But I'm sticking with you because you're my best friend

Yes, we're still here
We're still here, babe
We're still here
We're still here, babe
Yeah, we're still here.

submitted for Jingle Poetry, Poetry Potluck 22: Love, Bonds and Relationships
submitted to Photograph Prose
submitted to Thursday Think Tank, #42 Love at Poets United



On 4/25/11 my husband and I celebrated our 18th anniversary! I am so thankful to have him in my life.

21 comments:

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

what a thoughtful and beautiful piece.
Thanks for the contribution,
you rock.

A++

Dragon Katet said...

Ah, I loved this! Reminded me of Sonny and Cher's "I've got you, babe". :) I'm so happy that you've found someone so special.

Anonymous said...

beautiful.. happy valentines.. here’s mine.. http://fiveloaf.wordpress.com/2010/05/11/happily-tied/

OGUNGBESAN MICHAEL said...

NICE BUT WITH A SENSE OF DEEP EMPATHY. I LOVE THIS ONE

Marcoantonio Arellano (Nene) said...

Love, love, love!!!! Oh, did I mention that I loved it?

Rajlakshmi said...

a beautiful piece...
love can keep us going on...

Nanka said...

That was nice and enjoyed it too!! In places it is intense and then carefree and a bit of humor too...made a complete package!!

Anonymous said...

really nice love poem..Here are mine;
http://louisedouglas.wordpress.com/2011/02/13/goodbyes/
http://louisedouglas.wordpress.com/2011/02/13/to-my-love/

Shashidhar Sharma said...

Ahh!! Best friends.. perfect for Valentine's day.. We are all still here with our friends...
Thank God for that...
ॐ नमः शिवाय
Om Namah Shivaya
http://shadowdancingwithmind.blogspot.com/2011/01/whispers-emptiness-and-soul.html

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

Hello, Thanks for the love to Poetry Potluck! You Rock!

Awards 4 Poetry Potluck Week 22, Enjoy!

Your contribution means a world to us, Happy Thursday!
See you next time!
xoxox

Unknown said...

Lyrical and lovely!

Anonymous said...

beatiful! just Beautiful!

The Poet said...

When you love someone and you feel that person's love in return, for me, there's no happier contentment in life than that feeling of love.
Very nicely done.

Rashmi said...

Beautiful....enjoyed very much

Sherry Irvine said...

what a beautiful piece! Thoughtful and lovely. xo

Isabel Doyle said...

I could hear you singing ...

Ella said...

It could be a song!

Lolamouse said...

Isabel and Ella: I had a tune in my head when I was writing it! Too bad I can't write music!

Sherry: Thank you so much!

Andy: I agree. Greatest feeling in the world!

Rashmi: Thank you so much! I enjoy your work as well.

Kim: Many thanks!

lunawitch: So glad you liked it. Thanks for visiting!

Sulthana said...

Awww so sweet and lovey dovey and just what love should be :) Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. And I love the repetition :)

The Book of Shadows (The Dark Side) said...

This is simply beautiful... A love that stays and grows... and certainly survive with that sweet thanks in one's heart.. it is almost like a song.. the lyrics that melts all heart...

The Reason You Come said...

I love this, love this, love this! It's so sweet and romantic in a tear-jerking way! This will make a perfect love song!