*

*
Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash. Leonard Cohen

Monday, February 14, 2011

The Blind Owl

image from Few Miles, Haiku Challenge

So, it's Valentine's Day and Day 14 of the Haiku Challenge. The Challenge is to write at least one haiku each day on a theme or picture prompt posted on the website for the 28 days of February. I didn't discover this site until Day 11. To do penance for my tardiness, I have set myself the goal of catching up by writing the previous 10 haikus as quickly as possible. The first, here, need not have a theme.

This haiku is a tribute to a blind owl that resided at a local nature center where I volunteer teach. It was unable to survive in the wild and was cared for at the center. It died of old age last year.


image from Robert E. Barber


The blind owl is dead
Caged no more, it now flies free 
Hunts mice in heaven

No comments: