*

*
Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash. Leonard Cohen

Monday, June 25, 2012

The Dude Abides

His given name was Jeff
but everyone called him Dude
It has been said that he was lazy and profane
and that may be true
But the Dude had a keen sense of fairness
and of friendship
and of how a rug could tie a room together
The Dude's belly and his smokes
were both pot
and he liked his White Russians
Too laid back for employment
he courted enjoyment
"bowling
driving around
the occasional acid flashback"
But when the need arose for action
the Dude responded
grudgingly and
ineptly
It may be said that he was a loser
and that may be true
But the Dude abides.
Jeff "The Dude" Lebowski from The Big Lebowski


7 comments:

Brian Miller said...

abides he does...what an interesting movie that...

Pat Tillett said...

One of my all-time favorite movie characters. I forgot who it was, but in the movie, somebody asked him what he did for recreation. He responded with. "Oh, the usual. I bowl, drive around, the occasional acid flashback."

JustRex said...

One of my favorite movies. And I'm always thinking I need a good rug for my office to just "tie the whole room together."

Mary said...

This made me smile. I loved "The Dude's belly and his smokes were both pot." I should rent the movie....

Rachel Hoyt said...

I love the Dude. He lives in my town and has an excellent reputation for being a nice guy... though I haven't met him yet myself. :) Great poem!

my heart's love songs said...

it's like you knew him in real life! LOVE it!!! {BIG Smile}

Fireblossom said...

I haven't seen the movie, but thanks for being part of FBF! It wouldn't be complete without ya.