*

*
Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash. Leonard Cohen

Friday, March 27, 2015

Keep Moving

Credit: slhy | Shutterstock.com
The air is petrichor and pine
mixed with the spiciness of new mulch
Birds skitter across leaf litter
looking for seeds
The dogs and I
out for a walk,
basking in first warmth
I want to pluck this moment out of time 
keep it in my pocket
but the dogs pull on their leash,
a gentle reminder to
Keep moving.

submitted for Imaginary Garden With Real Toads, An Old Man's Fancy

9 comments:

hedgewitch said...

Yes, this really catches that moment and lets it sit in our palms for a bit before it flies off. Very suited to the season, and nice internal rhyme, LM.

Kerry O'Connor said...

I also wish I could retain the beauty of March all year around, although our seasons are opposite.

brudberg said...

I think you have captured the renewal of energy we feel in spring so well.. the pace of walking with the dog can be felt in the words.

Anonymous said...

Love it, love the ending

Maude Lynn said...

Love the way this moves. Beautiful work.

Outlawyer said...

Agree with all the comments above--lovely movement here--we want to stop and just be--spring not quite the season for it--super, thanks. k. (Manicddaily)

Anonymous said...

If I didn't have my little furball, I think I'd miss so many of nature's miracles (spring not being the least of them). You made me smile with recognition!

grapeling said...

a perfect glimpse ~

Herotomost said...

Dang those dogs, although they are big fans of spring as well I think, just in their own way. Beautiful description, felt like I was walking with you. Great writing! Thanks!!!