*

*
Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash. Leonard Cohen

Thursday, November 21, 2013

Kitsune

source
They say that cats have nine lives
I have only one life but
nine tails!
With each year, I gain wisdom,
power,
cunning
Poor kitties!
To die eight times over
To be reborn ignorant and small
Watch me grow older and better!



submitted for Imaginary Garden With Real Toads, Words Count With MZ, Sleepover Edition 

Kitsune is the Japanese word for fox.  Kitsune are a type of yokai, or spirit, believed to possess supreme intelligence, long life, and magical powers. Kitsune may have as many as nine tails. Generally, a greater number of tails indicates an older and more powerful fox. Some folktales say that a fox will only grow additional tails after it has lived 100 years.

9 comments:

Kay L. Davies said...

Fascinating, Ms Mouse, and I love the poem.
K

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Ha, soon I'll be old enough for more tails, cackle.......Loved this!

Kerry O'Connor said...

Wonderful, LM. I so enjoyed the Japanese lore and potent voice of your fox.

Maude Lynn said...

This is very cool. I love "watch me grow older and better." Of course, I would; yesterday was my birthday.

BB said...

The circle of life!

Fireblossom said...

This is so cool! And i bet they hate haiku!

not displayed said...

I really enjoyed this. Thank you for the explanation too

Margaret said...

Adore the simple sketch of what is a new story tail (tale) Never heard of this before!

Mimi Foxmorton said...

Late but sincere.......
My blog has been sitting still under a mound of dust. Miss you.

Loving your foxyness!
Well wrought, luv!
:)